First off I need to thank Nora over at Natural Noshing for nominating me for the Versatile Blogger Award, what a surprise! I also need to thank CoffeeHouseHopper for the Liebster award! It’s always so flattering to be included in anyone’s list of favorite reads, and to discover new favorite reads through initiatives like this is pretty cool!
Now I’m hoping this is kosher, but I’m choosing to combine these two wonderful things into 1 post, because it’s all about sharing your favorites, so why not make just one list? Otherwise I’d have 2 similar posts…and I’m going for a bit of an average number. I’m writing about 13 blogs, so here we go. After the list of blogs I’m “nominating” for these awards, you’ll see 7 things you might not have known about me!
To start, here are the nominees I’m passing this on to. The funny thing is, we seem to be growing this circle of bloggers, many of my favorites were on Nora’s list of faves, but I guess we’ve got similar taste buds, and similar reading tastes! In terms of Liebster Awards, I’m not sure on anyone’s traffic here, I’m certain that some of them have well above 200 hits per day, but they are my favorites, so here they are. With quality content and gorgeous shots, I’m sure everyone hits that mark sooner or later.
- Spabettie http://spabettie.com
What I love about Kristen is her creativity. She always pulls out things I’ve never thought of, but would LOVE to eat. She’s also vegetarian (and sometimes vegan?), which means she gets pretty creative with her use of ingredients as well. Pretty awesome. Oh, and she’s an amazing photographer, and has an adorable dog. Because she lives in Portland and is so cool, it makes me really want to move there…or at least vacation and check it out.
- Pinch of Yum http://pinchofyum.com/
Lindsay’s recipes make me want to spend all day in the kitchen. And her photographs are great too, in fact, she just released an e-book book of all about food photography, which I’m anxious to get my e-hands on. One thing that sets Lindsay apart is how much information she shares about the back end of blogging: she’s trying various ways to make some extra $$ through her blog (which she donates to charity), and she shares all the data. For anyone who’s blogging, it’s an insightful source of info.
- The Healthy Foodie www.thehealthyfoodie.net
I’m starting to think that Sonia and I ran a restaurant together in a past-life. It’s the only explanation for how similar are tastes, and some of our recipes are. She makes amazing recipes, all healthified, and she’s great at really making the healthy not boring at all. I mean, she gave up grains for lent and make cake. Yeah.
- I breathe Therefore I am…Hungry http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com
Melissa’s food makes my mouth water. She is quite low carb, which makes her very creative with ingredients, grain free pizza for example! She also uses chorizo sausage a lot, which is a particular weakness of mine.
- Chocolate Covered Katie www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com
This was one of the first blogs I came across when I entered this world. Amazing photos, all dessert, and she has made ice cream healthy and without an ice cream maker. What more can you ask for? Oh, lots of single-serving desserts. And chocolate. And more chocolate.
- The Healthful Pursuithttp://www.healthfulpursuit.com
Leanne is actually a practicing nutritionist. I discovered her before I enrolled in the nutrition program I currently attend, I think she was one of those inspiring steps along the way. It was quite inspiring to see a practicing nutritionist posting a lot of food I’d LOVE to eat, that would be good for me, and other people.
- The Cupcake Projecthttp://www.cupcakeproject.com
A different cupcake based recipe everyday…not up to my healthy standards, but definitely a place to start for some inspiration. Focusing on one theme makes for some pretty original cupcakes.
- Nia Shankshttp://www.niashanks.com/blog
Nia Shanks is a personal trainer, and the woman behind a whole movement called Girls Gone Strong. She writes about fitness, nutrition, shares recipes, and demystifies a lot of fitness/nutrition myths. She’s a smart one.
- SkinnyFat Girlshttp://skinnyfatgirls.com
At SkinnyFat Girls, they are not afraid of vegetable. Sometimes they cook with them out in the open, and sometimes they hide them. Seeing how they hid spinach in cupcakes made me think I could do the same. I wonder what they’ll sneak in next…
- A Food Centric Lifehttp://afoodcentriclife.com
Sally is actually a chef! She also loves healthy ingredients. I can definitely learn a thing or two about technique and presentation from her–I just wish I saw more Sally-like recipes in restaurants.
- Sensual Appealhttp://sensualappeal.wordpress.com
Kammie’s a new blogger whose recipes are right up my alley. I have a feeling our pantry’s and fridges have a lot in common! I’m looking forward to reading as her creations keep coming.
- The Healthy Home Economisthttp://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com
Sarah at the healthy home economist writes about what’s important in terms of your health and food safety. You might find some information you don’t want to know here, but you know what? It’s well researched, and worth you knowledge. What you put into your body adds up.
- Inspiring Healthy Livinghttp://inspiringhealthyliving.wordpress.com/
Laura creates wonderful recipes, and has some excellent knowledge behind them. She is taking a post-graduate program in Workplace Wellness and Health Promotion, and seems to really understand that having enjoyable food is important to everyone’s success in these areas.
7 Things you might not have known about me:
- If you had told me 5 years ago that I would be a personal trainer, and studying to be a nutritionist, I would never have believed you.
- I used to be an actor/drama teacher. I directed a bunch of musicals with kids and teens, my favorites were Hairspray and Seussical
- I am a little obsessed with the Game Settlers of Catan..so if you want to play and you’re in TO, I might be persuaded.
- I like writing. Last summer I entered a 24-hour play contest, and came in 5th. I am slowly but surely writing a musical with my boyfriend about trying to start your life during a recession.
- I can paint. I once painted my own version of Van Gogh’s Starry Night, just to see if I could.
- My grandfather was a Holocaust survivor with quite the sense of humor about him. I shot a documentary of him that I need to edit when I find time in my life…
- I am very grumpy if I don’t exercise, and am currently into kettlebells
Here are the details about the Versatile Blogger Award:
- Thank the person who gave you this award.
- Include a link to their blog.
- Next, select 15 blogs/bloggers that you’ve recently discovered or follow regularly.
- Nominate those 15 bloggers for the Versatile Blogger Award.
- Finally, tell the person who nominated you 7 things about yourself.
- In the same post, include this set of rules.
- Inform each nominated blogger of their nomination by posting a comment on each of their blogs
Here’s the info about the Liebster Award:
The Liebster Award is for bloggers who have inspired you, and have less then 200 followers.
This is how it works:
- Link back to the person who gave it to you and thank them.
- Post the award to your blog.
- Give the award to 5 bloggers with less than 200 followers that you appreciate and value (It’s a great way to get to word out there about other blogs!!)
- Leave a comment on the 5 blogs to let them know that they have received this award.
As I did a combined post, for those I’ve nominated, feel free to choose the award you’d like, or both!