Today is the second installment of my series about new years resolutions related to healthy eating and weight loss/management. I like today’s topic a lot, because I LOVE dessert. Perhaps you already knew that, I mean, I did make this ridiculously awesome cake.
Don’t deprive yourself. Eat healthy desserts. My dad often says, “A meal isn’t a meal without dessert.” Eating dessert is definitely part of my routine, even if it’s just a small piece of dark chocolate. I need that sweetness to complete the meal. Before discovering healthy desserts and clean eating, I would yo-yo diet. This started at the beginning of high school. Most diets involved a lot of deprivation, and you know what? When you’re told you can’t have something you want it even more. My solution? Healthy desserts. With every recipe I create, and every recipe I discover by other healthy bloggers online, the more I am completely certain that there is no reason to eat anything that is bad for you. And now, a recipe to illustrate this point.
Today was going to be a quiche recipe day, but I think this theme calls for dessert. And I have the perfect one. Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares.
This dessert does not taste like a healthy/diet dessert in any way. It could be sold along all sorts of goodies at a bakery, and no one would ever know that it has no refined sugar, and no butter. It’s crazy like that. I adapted this from The Healthy Foodie’s Peanut Butter Chocolate Energy Squares. Trust me, those were mouth watering enough. When I saw that post, I was ready to make them immediately! But in her post, Sonia did mention that she wished she could up the protein content a bit, and lower the fat. Well, Sonia, I did just that! I was excited to tackle this recipe makeover, as Sonia inspires me so much with her recipes. I mean, I’ve been eating her Squash Coconut Curry a lot these days. Onto the recipe:
Layer 1 (bottom):
- 1 cup sliced raw almonds (preferably soaked overnight and drained)
- 2/3 cup dates
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup flake cereal (I used some super protein flax bran flake type of thing)
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
Layer 2 (middle):
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 90g vanilla whey protein powder
Layer 3 (top):
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 2 T agave
- 4 T greek yogurt
- 3 T chopped roasted peanuts
I know that’s a long list of ingredients, but this is pretty easy to make.
- For layer 1:
- combine dates and almonds in food processor, and pulse to break them down a bit
- add other layer 1 ingredients and pulse/blend until well mixed, and it forms a big ball (scrape down sides as you go, if needed)
- Press into the bottom of a square pan or pyrex, that is lined with parchment (I used some parchment under my hand to do the pressing, as it made it a lot easier, and less sticky)
- For layer 2:
- Blend coconut in small bowl of food processor for a few minutes
- add remaining ingredients and blend well, again, it will turn into a big ball of goodness
- spread out/layer evenly on top of layer 1 (use the same trick with the parchment on your hand)
- For layer 3:
- mix all ingredients in a bowl until smooth
- spread evenly over other two layers
- Top with peanuts
- Throw it in the fridge, and try to wait at least 4 hours before cutting into squares. If you can’t wait that long, it’s okay. You’re only human.