Crusting things makes them look and sound fancy. Almond crusted tilapia…almond crusted french toast…mm. The thing is, it’s really not that hard!
If you want to impress someone, or treat yourself, this will do the trick! Plus almonds are an amazing brain food. Since this is made with egg whites, and a multigrain baguette, it’s amazing if you are leading a health conscious and fit lifestyle. And of course…it’s amazing if you enjoy a gourmet breakfast that you can make in 10 minutes. The almonds add a nice crunch to traditional french toast, and the baguette makes the outside nice and chewy. This is light, yet hearty.
- 1/2 multigrain baguette
- 1/2 cup egg whites (or 2 eggs)
- splash of milk (I used almond)
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds (raw)
- preheat pan (and spray with oil)
- in a bowl combine egg whites, milk and almond extract, and whisk together
- slice baguette (I made about 10 small pieces)
- dip bread pieces in mixture (I like to keep them all in there, since they’re small, to make sure they absorb as much as possible)
- Now is the important part:
Gently place the slivered almonds on the pan, aiming for the shape of a slice of bread with each grouping of almonds. They don’t have to be the exact shape, and it’s okay if there are some that don’t make it under a piece of bread…but aim for it!
- Place the egg’d bread slices on top of the almond groupings.
- If you have any extra egg mixture after all bread pieces have been placed, you can pour it onto the pieces of bread on the pan.
- Gently flip when ready (2-3 minutes I suppose), cook another 2-3 minutes
- Top with syrup…(I use sugar free E.D.Smith), or some jam…or a blueberry fruit compote.
Coming up in my next post is a recipe that I am very excited about. Apple Pie Ice cream. Yup. AND it’s super healthy. AND I don’t have an ice cream maker. Here’s a preview: