It’s Saturday! That means you have time for pancakes, so here you go. These are a great way to get some protein, whole grains, antioxidants, and fiber in a delicious breakfast.
They serve 2, but you can easily double it, or divide it in half.
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1/2 greek yogurt
- splash of almond milk
- 1 tsp baking bowder
- 1/2 c. flour (I used spelt)
- 1/4 c. flax seed, ground
- 1/4 c oatmeal
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup blueberries (mine were frozen)
- 3 tbsp syrup (I used No Sugar Added E.D.Smith)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum (or anything you can use to thicken…adjust amount to desired thickness)
- preheat your pan or griddle
- preheat saucepan to low heat for compote
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients except almond milk for pancakes
- gradually whisk in dry ingredients
- add splash of almond milk, to adjust thickness of batter
- if you want the pancakes all to be the same size, use a 1/8 c measuring scoop to pour batter
- cook until pancakes begin to bubble, and flip, cooking until golden
Meanwhile, as the pancakes cook:
- add blueberries, syrup, and lemon juice into saucepan and cover, stirring every so often
- when blueberries are warm, and no longer frozen, mash with the back of a wooden spoon, and let simmer for another couple of minutes
- remove from heat
- if you have guar gum, start by adding a very little bit, to thicken mixture…this is when it becomes a compote!
If you don’t have guar gum, do not fear. You can let it cook down a little more to thicken it, and/or add a little bit of flour or corn starch to thicken as well. If it’s not as thick, it’ll still taste good! This is the first time I used guar gum. I did find it at a mainstream grocery store in the baking section, so I think you should be able to also, if you’re interested. It was definitely the most powerful thickener I’ve used.
Enjoy! What’s your favorite kind of pancakes?