I’ve been on a coconut streak lately, and here is the first of the recipes: pancakes!
Here’s the batter:
- 1/4 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/4 cup egg whites (or more milk if you’re vegan)
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1/4 cup flax meal (replace with flour if you like)
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract
Mix the batter. I always try to dirty less dishes, so I actually start with the wet ingredients in a large measuring cup, and then just scoop the dry ingredients and add them into the same measuring cup. The bonus of using a measuring cup, is that it makes it easy to pour.
- once batter is mixed, pour pancakes onto oiled pan/griddle (I spray with olive oil)
- after pancakes are pour, sprinkle 1 tsp of unsweetened flaked coconut onto each pancake (on the liquidy side)
- when you flip the pancakes, the coconut will get all nice and toasted!
- garnish with more flaked coconut, and top with syrup of your choice (I like E.D.Smith no sugar added).
About the ingredients: I’ve used the grains I’ve used because I find them to be healthier alternatives, and they work for me. If you’ve got regular flour on hand, or prefer to use that, by all means, do so! Also feel free to use whatever milk you like, or sub in an egg instead of the egg whites.
If you really want to make this rich, replace the milk with coconut milk (or lite coconut milk).
What’s your favorite pancake flavor?